Jumat, Desember 11, 2009


Grammar Lesson Part 4
 
Using either, neither and too


Look at the sentences below. 
A is the speaker.  B answers, and sometimes
a third person
C answers after B.
When you agree with the speaker...

A
: I like ice cream. B: Me, too. or I do, too. or So do I.

A: I can play the piano. B: Me, too. or I can, too. or So can I.

A
: I am hungry. B: Me, too. or I am, too. oror So am I.

A
: I don't like hamburgers. B: Me, either. or Neither do I.

A
: I can't cook. B: Me, either. or Neither can I.

A
: I'm not tired. B: Me either. or Neither am I.

In the sentences above, a third person (C) would say the same thing as the second person (B)

When you don't agree with the speaker...

A:
I love fried fish. B: I don't. C: I don't either. or Neither do I.

A:
I am tall. B: I'm not. C: I'm not either. or Neither am I.

A:
I can sing. B: I can't. C: I can't either. or Neither can I.

A:
I don't like chocolate. B: I do. C: I do, too.

A:
I'm not Canadian. B: I am. C: I am, too.

A:
I can't speak English. B: I can. C: I can, too.

Note- there may be a few other possible ways to answer these questions


Simple Present vs. Present Continuous


This lesson may be a review for many people, but do you know the difference between I eat and I am eating?  Is it okay to say I watch TV right now, or should you say I am watching TV right now? The
Simple Present Tense is used for things that happen regularly, like this:
Birds fly in the sky.

Sheila takes a shower every evening. or for general facts, like this: Birds fly in the sky.

***

The Present Continuous Tense is made by a be verb (am, is, are) + verb+ing. It is used for things that are happening right now, like this:

I am taking a shower right now.


or for things that are happening nowadays , like this:

Many people are losing their jobs nowadays


Tag Questions

A tag question is one where a statement is made, but the speaker wants a response from the listener.  Like-  Today's lesson is hard, isn't itor

First of all, to understand tag questions, you need to know about affirmative and negative sentences.

Do you know what an
affirmative sentence is?  It is like this:  Mary is at home.  or  The students work hard.

Do you know what a
negative sentence is?  It is like this:  Mary isn't at home.  or  The students don't work hard.

Then, you need to know that if the sentence is affirmative, the tag will be negative.  And if the sentence is negative, the tag will be positive

And finally, you need to think about the kind of verb used in the sentence.  Does it use a modal, like can or will or a form of to be?  Your tag question will follow the verb in the sentence.  If it is a regular verb, don't forget it uses do, don't, does, doesn't when a question is asked.

Examples

Affirmative Sentence/ Negative Tag

Toshi likes fishing, doesn't he?
Susan is sick today, isn't she?
Mike can play the piano, can't he?
You will go there, won't you?

Negative Sentence/ Affirmative Tag

Andrew doesn't study much, does he?
The dogs aren't hungry, are they?
She can't cook, can she?
You won't see her, will you?


More about Tag Questions

Yesterday we learned about tag questions.  Now we need a little more information.  You know how to ask a tag question, but how do you answer a tag question?
When a speaker asks a question with a tag, like this one:  "It's a nice day today, isn't it?" he expects the listener to agree with him.  He expects the listener to say "Yes, it is."  If the speaker thinks the day is bad and he thinks the listener will agree it's bad, he can say "It isn't a nice day today, is it?" and the listener (if he agrees it's bad) will say "No, it isn't."

It's important to remember something...  When we ask a tag question in English, the listener answers according to the subject, not the way the speaker asked the question.  I know it sounds confusing, but let me show you.

John asks Mary a
question.  He thinks she
will agree with him.
Mary agrees with John. Mary doesn't agree with John
It's cold outside, isn't it? Yes, it is. No, it isn't.
(John thinks it's cold. He thinks Mary will agree it's cold.) (Mary agrees with John. She thinks it's cold.) (Mary doesn't agree with John. She doesn't think it's cold.)
It's not cold outside, is it? No, it isn't. Yes, it is.
(John thinks it's not cold. He thinks Mary will agree it's not cold.) (Mary agrees with John. She thinks it's not cold.) (Mary doesn't agree with John. She thinks it's cold.)
The movie was good, wasn't it? Yes, it was. No, it wasn't.
(John thinks the movie was good. He thinks Mary liked the movie, too.) (Mary agrees with John. She liked the movie.) (Mary doesn't agree with John. She didn't like the movie.)
The movie wasn't good, was it? No, it wasn't. Yes, it was.
(John thinks the move was bad. He thinks Mary didn't like the movie, either.) (Mary agrees with John. She didn't like the movie.) (Mary doesn't agree with John. She liked the movie.)
So, notice that the person who answers doesn't worry how the speaker asks the question. She only thinks about her feeling for the subject.


It's and Its

Lots of people get confused about the spelling of it's and its. It's really quite simple. Remember, the '' is placed where one or more letters have been taken out.

For example-   she + is = she's.    And  does + not = doesn't.

So-   It's = it + is     or sometimes     It's = it + has    (you will know by the context which one it is.)

Now how about its? This is a possessive. Remember that a possessive is a word that shows who or what owns something.

For example- This is the girl's coat. This is her coat.

Or-  
means there is a contraction. Two words have been put together to make one word, and the Joey and Melissa's friend is here.   Their friend is here.

So-  
The book's pages are green.     Its pages are green


See, Look at, and Watch

Do you know the difference between see, look at, and watch?
See < is an inactive word.  When your eyes are open, you do it without thinking.  Example-  I see a car near the store.

Look at is an active word.  You must want to do it.  But it is for a short time.  Example-  Look at this dress.

Watch > is also an active word.  You must want to do it but it is for a longer period of time.  Example-  Let's watch television


Artikel yang Berhubungan



Dikutip dari: http://ade-tea.blogspot.com/2011/02/cara-membuat-widget-artikel-yang.html#ixzz1JSIiysNe

Artikel yang Berhubungan



Dikutip dari: http://ade-tea.blogspot.com/2011/02/cara-membuat-widget-artikel-yang.html#ixzz1JNBpubYr

0 komentar:

Bookmark and Share